Pages

Sunday, May 3, 2015

Saturday, April 25th. Part II

For the second part of this post, I would like to talk about Mick Jenkins and The Underachievers. At the concert, these two were quite entertaining, Mick Jenkins because he had some great raw music, and The Underachievers because the crowd was going crazy while they were performing. Mick Jenkins is a twenty-four year old rapper that is originally from Huntsville Alabama, though he has spent the majority of his musical career in Chicago, Illinois. Jenkins, Jayson Jenkins, has released five mix tapes: The Mickstape, in 2012, The Pursuit of HappyNess: The Story of Mickalascage, also in 2012, Trees & Truths, in 2013, The Water[s], in 2014, and Wave[s], in 2015. Like I said previously, I hadn't heard of Mick Jenkins before hearing him at the concert. But what I heard, I liked. After the concert I downloaded a couple of his songs, however, I’ve never been able to get that into it, though I do realize that he definitely has talent. If you are interested in hearing some of his stuff, I would recommend listening to the two most recent of his mix tapes. Also, here is a link to a mix of some his most popular songs on YouTube. Some songs I would recommend looking at to get a good idea of what Mick Jenkins is like are Dehydration, Jazz, and Martyrs, all on that mix. Dehydration is probably my favorite song by him. It is interesting, his style in unique and I like it, though it not my absolute favorite, due to his aggressiveness and gnarliness in the content. You can easily see this in Dehydration. Not to mention that his catch phrase is “Drink more water.” At first, I thought he was just supporting staying hydrated and not drinking alcohol. However, I later found out that he is saying that when you take the drug ecstasy, you need to drink a lot of water, or your organs will fail and you will die. This is just a small glimpse of his gnarly content. I don’t mind it, it’s just a little too much sometimes. 
I got this picture of Mick Jenkins off of Rolling Stone's website


The next group of artists, I am not too familiar with either. The Underachievers consist of two members, AK and Issa Gold, and are based out of Flatbush, Brooklyn, New York City, New York. The two first met through a mutual friend, and they clicked instantly, sharing many common interested. They grew up a couple blocks away, and would work on music together, as well as with members of who later became Flatbush Zombies. The two have released two mix tapes,  Indigoism and Lords of Flatbush, which came out in 2013. These are what got them most of their popularity, though I am not the biggest fan. The next year they released their first studio album, Cellar Door: Terminus Ut Exordium. The music on this album is more flowy and lyrically advanced, however, a lot of the stuff still sounds the same as their previous two mix tapes. The only song that they have out that really stands out to me, is called Herb Shuttles. This is an awesome song to pump you up, and it is just an overall, fun, good song to jam to. This song has a lot of influences from Flatbush Zombies, but I like it a lot and would highly recommend checking it, though beware of profanity and an inappropriate music video. 
I acquired this image of AK and Gold from a wesbsite called Live2BeFree

No comments:

Post a Comment