Pages

Sunday, May 10, 2015

Reflection, Sorry To Go...

Alright, I’ll be honest… the whole reason why I started this blog and continue to publish to it is because it is a grade for my english class. However, now that it is coming to an end I realize how much I am going to miss it. Writing to this blog is not only a way that I can keep in touch with people and share music I like with them, but it is a way that I can get a break from the world almost. When I am super into a post, I like totally forget about everything that is concerning me in life and just think about the music I am writing about. Which is another reason why writing to this blog it so cool, it helps me to expand my tastes due to what my readers want and even just learn more about different artists, and hear stuff from artists I have never even heard of. The music industry is a crazy place, there are so many people that want to be heard, so many different styles, and so much money. So how is there a place for everybody? Well at first you may think that there isn’t, which though I agree with, isn’t totally true. There is a place for everybody, weather it is Kanye West or Jay-Z, who are at the very top of the industry in money making terms, though their stuff is very mainstream and usually set up. Or if it’s Logic or Dizzy Wright, who are more in the mid range, but keep their lyrics and lessons that they bring incredibly real. Or if it is even people like me, who just write about big time artists, and maybe rap a little on their own time, knowing that they are going nowhere with it but do it just to have a good time. Even though the money isn’t there for everyone, there is a place there for everyone, you just have to know where you fit in and accept it. 
I decided to add this image because not only to I think it is really cool, but I think is shows a cool standpoint of the variety of people who make up the music industry. Think about it, weather you're the artist who is performing (Kendrick Lamar), a person in the crowd, the person taking the picture, or the person getting the picture off the internet to add to his small time blog, you are all part of the music industry. I got this picture from a Kendrick Lamar wesbsite. 


Me as a person… Reflecting on this year as a whole, for me personally (which I am only doing because it is a requirement for that pesky english class I was talking about), I would say that this has been a year for me where I have gone through the least change as a person compared to other years. I have gone through previous years, starting as one person, and ending as a completely different one. However, this year, I feel that, though I am of course different, it has been the most minor change so far. I mean, let’s compare. The year before this, I went into it a super good kid, thinking that I would never, ever, get into any of the bad rift-raft that you start to experience as an eighth grader. But two months into the year, I did. And then I got in trouble for it, multiple times. Which is obviously very sad and makes me sound kind of dumb, but you can see how easily I was influenced. This year, I went into it knowing that I would be surrounded by that type of thing, but telling myself that I would need to keep it in moderation, which I consistently have. I also have had virtually the same music tastes this whole year, and I have had more of a mellow, more athletic and academic focused lifestyle. Which was sacrificing my social life, which I had never done in the past. But it paid off, I made the varsity lacrosse team as one of two freshmen, and I have had a four point zero this whole year. I am proud of my accomplishments but know that I need to keep everything in check so I have a good balance. But before I go, I thought I should let you know that the main reason I made such a jump from inconsistent to consistent was something that one of my friends who graduated high school last year told me just before my school year started, “When you graduate from high school, it all goes away. All of the people who you tried so hard to be reputable for, all of the girls you’ve tried to impress, and all of the people you have let down. Which is why you should focus on all of the things that are going to help you in the long wrong.” 
I got this picture of "A Kid Just Trying to Fit In" from PBS

No comments:

Post a Comment