Pages

Saturday, March 14, 2015

Watching Movies With The Sound Off// Part Two

The lyrical schemes, wordplay, and flow of this album are astounding. There’s no other way to describe it other than astounding. Mac uses words that I don’t even know the meaning of, and rhymes them with other words that I don’t know the meaning of, while telling an amazingly deep story that reaches me on unexplainable levels. He really killed it with this album is all I have to say. And by that I don’t only mean in my opinion, the first week out he sold 101,000 copies. Not quite J. Cole’s 371,000, but still very impressive. He released three singles before the album, S.D.S., Watching Movies, And Goosebumps (how ironic), all oh which hit 43 or above on Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs. And the album itself for up to number three on the Billboard 200, being praised mostly for its “ psychedelic hip hop influence and improved lyricism,” very impressive. As for the individual songs on the album, I do like all of them, however, six songs really stood out to me from me first hearing the album, and those five songs still stick out to me today. Some I’ve already mentioned, but they are Someone Like You, Watching Movies, Aquarium, Suplexes Inside of Complexes and Duplexes, REMember, and The Star Room. I am going to review each of them, similar to what I did in the Don’t Over Think post about Castro. 
 I got this picture of Mac from Billboards.com

Someone Like You is just a great song. Fun to listen to, deep lyrics, great flow and awesome background music and chorus. Part of the reason I like this song so much is because it is perfect for multiple occasions. Like it has a pretty upbeat beat, and faster lyrics, so it’s not bad for a pump up song. But it also it pretty sad and has deep ass lyrics, so it’s also perfect to listen to when you’re going to bed, thinking a lot, or even just having a bad day. I love versatile music. Speaking of versatile, Mac may be the most versatile rapper I know of. The story in this song is very interesting, and kinda hard to determine at first, but after listening to it closely a couple times, you’ll get it. But I don’t want to spoil it, so be sure to check it out and listen very closely. 

This is one of two dedicated “pump up” songs on Mac’s album (the other one being O.K., HIGHLY EXPLICIT). But though this song is faster paced and great for pump up, it is still pretty deep and depressing. I really really like the lyrics of this song, they are brutally honest, and I think the point of view of them are really interesting. A big main idea of the song is money. Mac talks about how he is so set with money that he really has nothing to worry about. He also talks about how him and his team are trying to start a “revolution.” By this they mean changing around the rap game and gaining ground to overcome all others. One really prominent verse in the song is “People worship these idols, till they come in contact with god.” This verse shows up many times in this song, and the theme of this verse shows up quite often throughout the whole album. I think his perception of god and people is very interesting, and listening to his music helps me get an idea of it, which I think is pretty cool. So definitely check out this song, pretty popular, it was one of the three singles, and it’s solid. But if you watch the music video, have caution, it’s pretty explicit! If you would rather just listen to the audio, click here.
I got this image from the music video for Watching Movies. It's Mac driving a car with a bunch of ladies. 

4 comments:

  1. ELIIIIIIIII. I really like your blog. I listen to all of the songs you talk about. I actually really like "Someone Like You." It's got a cool vibe to it. You're blog is way unique, I dig it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your feedback! I'll be sure to add more songs like that, and I'm really glad you enjoy the music!

      Delete
  2. I listen to little to no rap so this is kind of cool to learn about what I should listen to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure man, I'll be sure to keep writing about good and versatile stuff I think you'll enjoy.

      Delete