Pages

Sunday, February 22, 2015

Don't Over Think// Part One

Hello all, sorry I haven’t posted in a while, at the start of new quarters I feel really unmotivated to blog. But anyway, since it is a new quarter for me, I am going to be changing up the format of mu posts a little bit. Nothing big, just going from my usual template of talking about the song in the first paragraph and the artist in the second, to more random and diverse layouts. Just a heads up. So to really start off this post I want to talk about an amazing mixtape that I have come across recently by C Dot Castro called Don’t Over Think. Castro was one of the original members of the RattPack, the other two being Logic and Big Lenbo. Castro is also part of the Visionary Music Group (VMG), which is getting to be quite successful and renown. It is actually really interesting how I learned about his new mixtape, I was in the VIP line at the Logic concert I went to on February Third (by the way, an amazing concert, easily one of the best nights of my life, so if he’s in your area, don’t be afraid to buy some tickets), and these guys in front of us starting talking about it, and then we all began to have a conversation about VMG. After the concert I went home and looked it up, and instantly fell in love with almost every song. Every single verse is just done so well and you can really tell how much work he put into it. The guys that we were talking to were saying that they met Castro at a previous concert and that he told them he spends days at a time just working on one single line. ONE SINGLE LINE, that is ridiculous, but the perfectionist in him is really paying off, producing an outstanding mixtape. I haven’t thoroughly listened to every song, but I am going to do a couple short summaries of my favorites, definitely check them out, and you can listen to the whole mixtape here
I got this picture by taking a screenshot of his song All Right, definitely a honorable mention
because I didn't talk about it as one of the four I picked (mixtape cover). 

The first song that I will talk about is also the first to occur in the mixtape. This is probably my favorite song on the mixtape, but it is interesting because he actuality dropped this song with a music video (be aware that this music video is pretty violent and has some harsh content) quite before he dropped the mixtape. At the beginning of the song, you would think it would be a really mellow, deep song, but once the beat drops, the vibe totally changed to a strictly pump up, fast paced song. The best lyrics of this song are really hard to determine because of how many good ones there are, this is when it really shows how much of a perfectionist Castro is, literally every line is so solid and could easily be featured here. But since I have to choose I am going to go with when he says “Now when I say I’m the best that ain’t over confidence, motherf*cker that’s common sense.” That line just gives me the chills, so solid and clever, overall a great song. 

Check Next Post For Part Two

No comments:

Post a Comment