Pages

Sunday, March 15, 2015

Watching Movies With The Sound Off// Part One

I was looking through my blog earlier today and I couldn’t believe that I didn’t have a post about one of my favorite rappers, Mac Miller. Mac has been on a huge influence on me, being one of the first rappers I listened to. Being one of my early musical influences, I am a huge fan of his older music. But I am going to write about an album that he released in the June of 2013 called Watching Movies With the Sound Off. The content in this album is much different than the content in his previous music. His music in the past has been fun, joyful, and upbeat. However, this album, is incredibly sad, deep, and thoughtful. But I love it. It’s not just that I really enjoy the lyrics, beats, and flow, it’s the way I connect with it. Like there is seriously no way to explain the way I relate it, it’s really something else. 
I got this picture of the album cover from Wikipedia. Sorry the cover is pretty inappropriate. 
Watching Movies With The Sound Off
The first time hearing this album was the day after my dad and I were having this really deep conversation about the stars, life on other planets, and our theories on how we came to be. The next day, I came across a song called Aquarium on Pandora. The song literally addressed all the things we were talking about. It seemed like an unreal scenario. The impact the conversation had on me was enough, but hearing that song so closely after, got to me on crazy emotional levels. Crazy stuff like that always happens to me, like weird connections made with a random correlations of things at totally random times. And though it’s completely odd and I have no way of explaining it, I love it. It just makes me think about how crazy the world is, and though it just totally baffles me, it amazes me as well. And those are two of the main reasons why I love music so much. One, the amazing and insane stories that you hear about people traveling the rags to riches, or visa versa, road in the music industry. Two, the thought provoking lyrics that each different song contains. Sorry to get so side tracked, but I thought I would give you some of my deep insight. I’ve also been trying to mix up these posts to keep them more interesting by making them more unorganized, so definitely be sure to tell me what you think of them compared to the ones from the two earlier quarters. Back to the album, like I was saying, I relate to it in crazy ways. From the deepness of Aquarium like I already talked about, to the sad story of The Star Room, which I fear happening to me in my life. I feel Mac in this album on another level. I’ve never felt the same thing with music. And you know that “chills” feeling that I always talk about? The feeling that you get when something really reaches you, or something is so good, that it gives you goosebumps. Well almost every song on this album constantly does that to me. 

6 comments:

  1. Super cool blog! I really like what your doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for letting me know what you think!

      Delete
  2. The Star Room is definitely a favorite. Sweet review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crazy deep huh? Glad you like it.

      Delete
  3. I love crazy deep talks about the stars, that's really cool that you found a song that related so closely to the situation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely :) Good to know somebody feels the same way!

      Delete